Desmond College actively encourages its students to participate fully in the life of the school. In co-operation with the Board of Management, parents and teacher, the Student Council promotes the interests of the school and involves students in the affairs of the school.
The student council is an elected group of student who represent the views of the entire student body in Desmond College and Gaelcholaiste Ui Chonba. The student council consists of 14 members from each year. Although senior students make up the committee of chairperson, treasurer and secretary, the contribution of each student is given equal consideration and respect.
In 2010-2011 our student council members were:
- 1st year: Michael Sexton, Stephanie Sheehan
- 2nd year: Rebecca Delee, Gary Noonan
- 3rd year: Daniel Cremin, Claire O’Connor
- Transition year: Shauna Cronin, Rachael O’Mahony, Patrick Quilligan
- 5th year: Shane Brosnan, Katie Hurley
- LCA: Sean Flynn
- LCA2: Noel Duggan
- Leaving Cert: Darren Scanlon
- Gaelcholaiste Ui Chonba: Shauna Tobin, Rae O’Carroll
The role of the student council is to:
- be a voice for students by making their opinions known
- improve the environment and atmosphere in school
- provide positive role models
- organise events and guest speakers and fundraisers
- liaise with management on an ongoing basis and student mentors in organising lunch time activities and the integration of 1st year students in school life
- raise issues put forward by their individual classes
- participate in school activities
- address issues relating to uniform, facilities etc.
- heighten awareness of issues such as bullying, human rights, environment, healthy eating, etc.
This year we have had a training day at the Foroige Youth Centre in Newcastle which every member attended and another training day in Microsoft Publisher at Marshal House which Gary, Kate and Rebecca attended.
Our constitution has been ratified and presented to the board of management. In the remainder of the year we hope to organise a culture awareness week.